Saturday, November 14, 2009

State Fair Secrets & Banana Jam

Friends, I've been keeping a secret. (Actually, I've been keeping several.)

I won seven ribbons at the State Fair of Texas!!

For several years, I've had every intention of entering, only to procrastinate my goals into oblivion. This year, I decided nothing would stop me. 

There will be more to report on the experience, but I must dash out the door to a singing engagement tonight.  For now, enjoy one of my prize winning recipes! (Check out my ghostly reflection in the photo. Boo!)

Blue Ribbon Banana Jam

1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about one medium lime) (lemon can be substituted)
3 1/2 cups diced firm ripe bananas
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 vanilla bean
1/2 cup water

Place lime juice in a one quart bowl.  Peel bananas and slice directly into lime juice.

Stir and mash bananas.

Split open vanilla bean. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and add to banana mixture.

Place sugars, water and remaining vanilla bean pod into 3 quart  pot.  Stir to dissolve sugars. Bring syrup to boil and boil five minutes. 

Add bananas and cook until thick, about 20 minutes.  Remove vanilla bean.

Spoon into sterilized ½ pint jars. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment